The intricacies of the human body never cease to blow our minds! The mouth is no different. I mean, who knew that just like fingerprints, teeth have their own unique print, and no two teeth are alike?
For those of you “old” enough to remember David Letterman, he had a top ten list on his late night television show centered around a specific topic. So in much the same way, here is the Tooth Top Ten, sure to make you go hmmm.
- The hardest part on your ENTIRE body is your tooth enamel.
- Your mouth produces 25,000 quarts of saliva in a lifetime- enough to fill two swimming pools.
- One third of your tooth is underneath your gums—that means only two thirds are visible.
- An average person spends 38.5 days brushing their teeth over their lifetime.
- If you get your tooth knocked out, put it in milk and hold it in your mouth—this will help your tooth to survive longer.
- Your mouth houses 300 types of bacteria. Yikes!
- Simply by inspecting teeth, it can be revealed how old we are, what we eat and drink — even where on Earth we may have lived!
- When babies arrive, the crowns of their first 20 teeth are already in place under the gums.
- As a rule, if you’re right handed, you’ll chew your food on your right side. If you’re left handed, you’ll chew on the left side.
- Wisdom teeth contain stem cells, and you can have them saved in case you might need them.
So what? Our job is to take the best care of the teeth we’ve been given that will carry us throughout our lifetime…after all, think of all of those hamburgers, ice cream cones, pizza slices, nachos, and pretzels we’ve devoured, thanks to our pearly whites!